How to use charcoal for burning aromatics herbs, resins and gums:
- Place a charcoal disc on a fireproof surface away from anything flammable. A ceramic or metal dish containing some sand is ideal.
- Hold a match or a lighter to the rim of the disc, taken care as the disc may spit and spark on ignition. Also allow a good air flow around the disc so that it can burn evenly, and be aware that it may give off quite a lot of smoke.
- Once the disc is red hot and glowing, drop a pinch of the incense on the top.
- Scrape off the ashes from time to time to expose the glowing centre of the charcoal disc and add more incense as required.
- NEVER hold a lit disc in your hand, and dispose of spent discs carefully.
- NEVER leave burning incense unattended.
Looking after your charcoal:
Charcoal needs to be kept in an airtight container, once the foil wrapper has been opened, to maintain its self-igniting properties.
10 Charcoal Disks for use with incense resins and herbs